Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Luna Sandals, finally!!

A few years ago, the barefoot running movement was afoot (ha, like how I did that?) So much so that even non runners were aware of, which at the time was me. I saw people in those goofy toe shoes that reminded me of the toe socks of the 80's. Then for the ones not wearing the toe shoes were the ones running totally barefoot. I couldn't imagine how this was possible down any sort of terrain beyond grass.
 I had forgotten about the toe shoes but was reminded of them reading Born To Run. It all made sense of course, we weren't born with shoes on our feet, after all, and growing up in Hawaii I recalled as a child how spent most of my days either barefoot or in flimsy rubber sandals we called "slippers." Shoes were only worn at school and sporting events and we were able to do this year round thanks to the weather. I remember how tough my feet were as a kid, but now, I'm lucky if I can walk across the unwatered grass.

 So fast forward to three months ago and a book called "Born To Run" which everyone that runs and their spouse that doesn't, has read. I was intrigued by the science behind barefoot running, it only makes sense, right? Our feet are made to get us from point A to B, all without anything strapped to it. Humans like to interfere, just look at horses! And what do we get for it? Injuries and feet that can't make it across the lawn without a man made shoe strapped to it.
 So why not? I would give this quasi barefoot lifestyle a try. There are several minimalist sandals out there, but only Barefoot Ted was in the book I just read and he WAS based out of Seattle, so the Luna sandal was what I wanted. Yeah, I have a weird way of selecting my future purchases.
 I did a search on the store locator and of course, no local stores carried the Lunas. They did carry them at my favorite running store back in Bellingham, of course.
  I had to wait until until we went on our family vacation down to Texas and tried out a pair in Austin.
The saleswoman warned me to take it slow and give myself about a year before really running in them but after wearing them for the rest of my vacation I went on a two mile run with them once we got back to Montana.
 Running with them definitely gets you to land on the front of your foot rather than heel first. If you do land heel first you can feel the jarring all the way into your jaw. My calves were screaming so
I would switch back and forth, trying to land as soft as possible when running heel first. Other than muscle soreness in my calves I felt fine from running in them, the downside to them is that try as I might, I can't seem to adjust them so the buckle doesn't rub in the top of my foot, creating a sore spot.
First it was just one foot but by the second run is was both feet. I put band aids on both feet and that seemed to help significantly.
 Another down side is the rocks that get stuck in between your foot and the shoe, I have to stop
more than once to remove a small rock but that's what you get when you are stuck running gravel roads, and the rocks you kick up and hit your toes on rare occasions are killers.
 I pretty much wear them everywhere and enjoy letting my feet be free and unrestricted. I don't think I'll be running my half marathon in September in them but maybe next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment